Connect with us

Headlines

More Headlines

News

More News

Politics

More Politics

Entertainment

More Entertainment

Business

More Business

Sports

More Sports

More News

  • Crime News
    Terrorists abduct over 60 worshippers from mosque

    An unspecified number of worshippers have reportedly been abducted after terrorists invaded the Central Mosque in Dekara, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, during Friday prayers.


    The incident occurred on Friday when the attackers, said to have arrived in large numbers, stormed the mosque while Jumu’at prayer was underway.


    Sources in the community said the terrorists fired several shots into the air before gathering some of the worshippers and forcing them out of the mosque towards a nearby forest.


    A resident, who spoke with our correspondent by telephone on condition of anonymity, said the attack was one of several security incidents recorded across Borgu Local Government Area on Friday.


    “So many things have happened in Borgu LGA today. Terrorists attacked three communities, including Dekara. In Dekara, they went to the Central Mosque while Jumu’at prayer was ongoing and kidnapped more than 60 people. But they did not injure anybody,” the resident said.


    According to the source, the attackers did not harm any of the worshippers during the operation, despite firing sporadically before taking the victims away.


    Efforts to obtain official confirmation were ongoing as of the time of filing this report.


    The spokesperson for the Niger State Police Command, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said he would verify the incident and provide an update, but had yet to respond as of press time.


    (DAILY TRUST)

  • News
    JUST IN: Tinubu Orders Arrest of Nwabueze Over Alleged Fake Agency in SGF’s Office

    President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze following the discovery of an alleged fake agency operating from the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).


    The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) uncovered the purported agency, identified as the National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, within the SGF’s office.


    ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Adamu Aliyu, SAN, disclosed this on Friday while briefing State House correspondents after meeting with President Tinubu.


    According to Aliyu, the discovery was made during an ongoing investigation into the alleged fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, which was reportedly operated by Adeyemi Matthew.


    He said investigators found that office space had been illegally allocated to the newly discovered agency within the premises of the Office of the SGF.


    The ICPC chairman also said President Tinubu had ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries — M.S. Danjuma, Engineer Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah — in connection with the development.


    Details shortly....

  • News Politics
    2027 : My job is to give Atiku, Obi high blood pressure, says Wike

    The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has declared that he is determined to keep opposition politicians under pressure as the country approaches the 2027 general elections.


    Wike made the remark on Friday while speaking with journalists during an inspection tour of ongoing infrastructure projects in Abuja.


    The former Rivers State governor, who reflected on the state of opposition politics, said the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party had weakened its position as a major opposition force.


    According to him, the absence of a clearly dominant opposition party has changed the political landscape ahead of the next general elections.


    He said, “I’ve told you there is no position. What do you have people who are not trying to see whether they can be relevant? Who’s the opposition leader now? Ordinarily, it would have been PDP, but because of the crisis we have had, and so you can’t see a formidable party that you call a leading opposition party.


    “So, whatever they feel, it’s none of my business. I don’t want them to feel well. It’s not my wish that they should feel well.


    “My business is to make them not to feel well all the days. Because they will be having high blood pressure. Yes, that’s my job.


    “To make them to have high blood pressure. I am not here to make them to feel good, no. You see, when you are having a contest with somebody, your business is not to make him feel well.


    “Your business is to make sure you beat him thoroughly. So that he will be sick all through. And that’s what we are doing to them.”


    Wike, who remains a member of the PDP despite his differences with several figures within the party, has continued to play an influential role in the political realignment ahead of 2027.


    The FCT minister also said he was unconcerned about how prominent opposition politicians, including former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and Labour Party presidential candidate in the 2023 election, Peter Obi, were reacting to the unfolding political developments.


    He added, “So how Atiku feels, how Obi feels, it does not give any headache. If I know how they feel now, I will add more crisis for them.”

  • News
    5 die as camry, truck collide on Lagos expressway

    Five men have lost their lives in a road crash involving a Toyota Camry and an Iveco truck along the Badagry Expressway, Lagos.


    The fatal accident occurred early Saturday at Sawmill, close to Mowo Bus Stop, prompting an emergency response from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.


    LASEMA said it received a distress call concerning the crash at about 5:16am and dispatched its Dolphin Team from the Igando base to the scene.


    According to the agency, responders found a Toyota Camry, with registration number FKJ 630KS, and an Iveco truck, marked T28081 LA, involved in a head-on collision.


    A statement issued by LASEMA Permanent Secretary, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said preliminary findings attributed the crash to excessive speed and reckless driving by the Camry driver.


    “Preliminary investigation revealed that the accident was caused by over-speeding and reckless driving on the part of the Toyota Camry driver. The driver reportedly lost control of the vehicle, veered into the opposite lane and had a head-on collision with the oncoming Iveco truck,” the statement read.


    The agency said all five occupants of the Camry, who were adult males, died as a result of injuries sustained in the crash.


    “Regrettably, the impact of the collision resulted in the death of five adult males who were occupants of the Toyota Camry. The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps for further necessary action,” it added.


    Responding agencies included the LASEMA Dolphin Team, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, Federal Road Safety Corps and officers of the Nigeria Police Force from the Morogbo Division.


    Two tow trucks were deployed to remove the damaged vehicles from the expressway. The wrecked vehicles were subsequently taken to the Morogbo Police Division, while the affected section of the road was cleared and reopened to traffic.


    Oke-Osanyintolu expressed condolences to the families of the deceased and prayed for the repose of their souls.


    He also advised motorists to avoid speeding, dangerous overtaking and other reckless driving practices, particularly during the early hours of the day.


    The LASEMA chief stressed that road safety required the collective responsibility of all road users, while reaffirming the agency’s commitment to rapid emergency intervention and cooperation with other response agencies.

  • News
    BREAKING: Tinubu unveils 2027 Presidential Campaign Council, names ex-gov as DG

    President Bola Tinubu has approved the composition of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 general elections, with former Zamfara State Governor, Senator Abdulaziz Yari, appointed as Director-General.


    Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodimma, was named Secretary of the campaign council.


    The appointments were announced in a statement issued on Saturday by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.


    Under the structure, Tinubu will chair the council, while Vice President Kashim Shettima will serve as Vice-Chairman I. The APC National Chairman, Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, was designated Vice-Chairman II.


    The party’s National Secretary, Senator Ajibola Basiru, and Hadiza Bala-Usman were appointed Deputy Secretary and Assistant Secretary respectively.


    The council will be supported by a team of advisers comprising former APC National Chairman, Bisi Akande; veteran journalist and politician, Segun Osoba; former Imo State Governor, Senator Rochas Okorocha; former Nasarawa State Governor, Senator Abdullahi Adamu; and Senator Florence Ita-Giwa.


    Senate President Godswill Akpabio, House of Representatives Speaker Tajudeen Abbas and Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni were assigned as Deputy Director-Generals overseeing the campaign in the southern and northern regions.


    They will work alongside Senator Bamidele Opeyemi and Senator Jibril Barau.


    Former Edo State Governor, Senator Adams Oshiomhole, was appointed Deputy Director-General in charge of mobilisation, while Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, will oversee administration as Deputy Director-General.


    James Faleke, who was prominent in the APC’s 2022/2023 presidential campaign, has also returned to the campaign structure as Deputy Director-General for election planning, coordination and monitoring.


    Faleke will coordinate with zonal directors appointed for the six geopolitical zones. They are Senator Olushola Adeyeye for the South-West, Dr Ngozi Olejeme for the South-South, Senator Uche Ekwunife for the South-East, Muntaqha Rabe for the North-West, Ahmed Muhammed Ketso for the North-Central and Senator Sani Danladi for the North-East.


    Stella Okotete, Abdullahi Garba Ramat and Audu Maikori were appointed secretaries under the election planning directorate.


    The legal directorate will be headed by Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Muiz Banire, with Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala serving as deputies.


    The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, was appointed Coordinating Director for Media and Strategic Communication. He will work with Dele Alake, Bayo Onanuga and Lanre Issa-Onilu.


    Tunde Rahman, Sunday Dare, Daniel Bwala and Felix Morka were named coordinating deputy directors in the directorate, while Abdulaziz Abdulaziz, Temitope Ajayi, Aderonke Arabirin and Frederick Nwabufo were appointed coordinating secretaries.


    Segun Dada, who occupied the New Media directorate in the 2022 campaign, is returning as its Director, with Solomon Arowolo appointed Secretary.


    The campaign council also named five spokespersons, led by Dele Alake. Others are Alwan Hassan, Ayobami Oyalowo, Kemi Asekun-Shittu and Adamu Fanda.


    Tinubu urged members of the council to commit themselves fully to securing victory for the APC in the January 2027 elections.


    He also directed the leaders of the various directorates to engage other party members who were not included in the formal list and encourage them to contribute to the campaign.


    The statement read, “We have delivered on our campaign promises and set our country on a path of economic progress. We are definitely out of the dark tunnel and are now at the cusp of reaping the benefits of a prosperous economy that will benefit all Nigerians.


    “As we march into the campaign season, we have many achievements to trumpet, let us confidently showcase our record and inspire hope in every corner of our nation. Let us soundly defeat all those forces who plan to take our country backwards.”

  • News
    Naira ends week stronger, gains N1.13 against dollar

    The naira strengthened marginally against the United States dollar at the official foreign exchange market on Friday, closing the week at N1,346.49 to the dollar.


    Figures published on the official website of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) showed that the local currency appreciated by N1.13, or 0.08 per cent, compared with the N1,347.62-to-dollar rate recorded on Thursday.


    The latest gain capped a relatively stable week for the naira, which recorded only one session of depreciation amid the ongoing reforms by the apex bank.


    At the beginning of the week on Monday, the currency appreciated to N1,349.53 per dollar. It extended the positive trend on Tuesday before recording a marginal 0.5 per cent decline on Wednesday.


    The naira subsequently regained ground on Thursday, appreciating by N2.79, before recording another modest gain at the close of trading on Friday.


    The performance means the domestic currency ended the week on a positive note, despite fluctuations recorded during the five trading sessions.

  • News
    ADC chairman found dead near residence

    The African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Enugu State has been thrown into mourning following the death of its chairman in Udenu Local Government Area, Hon. Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu.


    Ngwu, described as one of the party’s longest-serving members in the state, was reportedly found dead near his residence in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, shortly after he left his home.


    A family source told our correspondent that Ngwu woke up early that morning and stepped outside, but failed to return.


    “He woke up early in the morning on Wednesday and walked out, and that was the last we heard of him,” the source said.


    According to the source, members of the family became concerned after realising that Ngwu was missing. His lifeless body was later discovered in front of the family compound.


    “When we woke up, we didn’t see him, only to discover his lifeless body in front of our compound. We saw scratches on his neck, which was twisted backwards,” the source added.


    The circumstances surrounding the politician’s death have since generated anxiety among his relatives, political associates and members of the ADC.


    Reports indicated that two persons had been arrested in connection with the incident, although details about their identities and the reasons for their arrest were not immediately available.


    Efforts to obtain confirmation from the Enugu State Police Command were unsuccessful as its spokesman, SP Daniel Ndukwe, said he was unaware of the incident.


    However, the immediate past chairman of the ADC in Enugu State, Mrs Stella Chukwuma, confirmed Ngwu’s death.


    The incident has left members of the party and residents of the area awaiting further details from the authorities on the circumstances surrounding the death.


    (The NATION)