Crime News
New twist as OSGF appointment letter of alleged fake agency boss emerges
The National Coordinator and Executive Director of the National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, George Nwabueze, has rejected allegations by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission that he is operating a fictitious federal agency.
Nwabueze, who spoke in response to the allegation, maintained that the Made in Nigeria Special Project Office is a project office domiciled within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and has existed for 16 years.
The ICPC had alleged that President Bola Tinubu ordered Nwabueze’s arrest over his role in running and promoting the organisation, which the commission described as a fake federal agency. The anti-corruption body also claimed that the outfit was being operated with the support of some senior officials in the OSGF.
But Nwabueze, while responding to enquiries, disputed the allegation and insisted that the project office was officially established within the OSGF.
“Made in Nigeria Special Project Office is a project office in the OSGF. We don’t know where fake agency comes from. A programme that has been in the SGF’s office since 16 July 2010 was just discovered yesterday (Friday). After 16 years; Nigeria is a funny country.”
He made the statement while responding to enquiries on LinkedIn, where he had published a copy of his appointment letter as evidence to counter the allegation that the office was illegal.
The appointment letter, dated October 3, 2025, was purportedly issued by the OSGF and signed by the Permanent Secretary, Political and Economic Affairs Office, Nadungu Gagare.
Addressed to “Hon. George Buchi Nwabueze, National Coordinator, Made in Nigeria Project Office, OSGF, Three Arms Zone, Abuja,” the letter conveyed approval for his appointment as National Coordinator/Executive Director of the Made in Nigeria Project Office under the OSGF.
The document stated that Nwabueze’s appointment was for a five-year term beginning from July 2025, with an option for renewal.
“I am directed to formally convey the approval of your appointment as National Coordinator/Executive Director of the Made in Nigeria Project Office under the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” the letter stated.
It added that the appointment followed “a careful evaluation of your commitment, contribution, and capacity in delivering on the mandate of the Special Project Office.”
Among the duties outlined in the letter were the supervision and development of programmes, projects and policies; coordination of regional and state coordinators across the 36 states; and the organisation of exhibitions, trade expos, economic summits and other initiatives designed to promote Nigerian products and services.
The document also stated that the project office would temporarily operate from Room B53, Ground Floor, within the OSGF complex.
“Please note that this appointment is at the pleasure of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, and in line with the objectives of the Made in Nigeria initiative under the Renewed Hope Agenda,” the letter said.
Further documents posted by Nwabueze on LinkedIn indicated that the office had separately sought formal recognition as a Special Project.
A proposal dated April 17, 2025, and signed by the Permanent Secretary, Political and Economic Affairs Office, was addressed to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
Titled, ‘A proposal for the Made-in-Nigeria Project to be granted Special Project status’, the document said the initiative had been operating for about five years and had promoted locally produced Nigerian goods and services within and outside the country.
It also claimed that the initiative had organised economic forums and trade exhibitions in different parts of the world and contributed to the Nigerian economy, particularly through efforts aimed at attracting foreign direct investment.
The proposal listed job creation, economic expansion and poverty reduction among the anticipated gains of granting the project special status. It also projected that the initiative would support GDP growth by strengthening domestic industries and encouraging local production.
The document further argued that promoting locally manufactured goods would reduce reliance on imports, conserve foreign exchange and improve Nigeria’s trade balance.
It said the initiative was consistent with the Federal Government’s policy of diversifying the economy, reducing dependence on crude oil and strengthening the non-oil sector.
The Permanent Secretary subsequently asked the SGF to consider the proposal, stating that special project status would improve the initiative’s credibility and effectiveness.
The controversy followed a disclosure by the ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN, who identified the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office among the outfits uncovered during the commission’s investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council.
Aliyu said investigators came across the office while examining the PFIPC and what he described as weaknesses in public service procedures.
According to the ICPC chairman, the office had been allocated space within the OSGF premises without presidential approval. He also identified Prince George Buchi Nwabueze as the promoter of the outfit and alleged that he operated under different versions of his name with the backing of some senior OSGF officials.
The documents released by Nwabueze, however, appear to challenge the assertion that the project office lacked official backing.
One of the materials published on the organisation’s LinkedIn page contained details of a stakeholders’ engagement in Nasarawa State involving Governor Abdullahi Sule.
In the report, Sule said the state had adopted the Federal Government’s Made-in-Nigeria initiative and made provision for it in the state’s 2026 budget.
“For us in Nasarawa State, we have since domesticated this initiative of the Federal Government in our solemn commitment to promote local contents and have value for resources abound in our dear state,” Sule was quoted as saying.
“I’m happy to inform you that we did not only domesticate this project, but we also accord special attention to its operationalisation by including it in our 2026 budget,” he added.
The report also quoted Nwabueze as saying the initiative was domiciled in the OSGF and had responsibility for promoting Nigeria’s national brand.
The organisation’s website listed “Nwabueze George” as “Executive Director, National Coordinator” and featured a structure comprising national, zonal and state coordinators.
Amid the conflicting claims, a staff member of the OSGF said that the office had not been operational for several months.
“It was not operating as an agency but I know was under investigation… The office was shut months ago,” the source said.
The conflicting accounts have raised questions about the exact status of the project office, its authorisation and its relationship with the OSGF.
While the ICPC maintains that the office was allocated space in the OSGF without presidential approval, Nwabueze’s documents include an appointment letter purportedly issued by the OSGF confirming his appointment to head the project office.
Meanwhile, police sources said the force had not received an official briefing concerning the matter.
According to the sources, the police would only commence a manhunt for the suspect after receiving a formal briefing on the case.
(PUNCH)



