Connect with us

Osogbo Gunfire: Davido was target of attack on Adeleke’s convoy — Police

Published on

The Osun State Police Command has said Afrobeat star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was the intended target of an attack that disrupted the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke in Osogbo on Wednesday.


The incident occurred as Governor Adeleke visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo shortly after receiving his certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).


Davido, a prominent supporter of his uncle during the election campaign, had accompanied the governor and other family members to the INEC office and later to the monarch’s palace.


However, the visit was disrupted after suspected thugs allegedly attempted to gain access to the music star, leading to a confrontation with his security team.


Osun Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary investigations revealed that one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” allegedly tried to reach Davido but was prevented by members of the singer’s security team.


According to the police, the suspect is an ex-convict and alleged member of the Eye Confraternity.


“The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement of the convoy of the Governor,” Ojelabi said.


The violence later turned deadly after a 60-year-old man, identified as Tajudeen Yusuf, was reportedly shot by the fleeing suspects.


“Shortly afterwards, the suspected gang members reportedly departed the vicinity; however, on their way, they allegedly shot Tajudeen Yusuf at Itaolokan area of Osogbo,” the police spokesperson said.


He said police operatives were immediately deployed to the scene, where the victim was found in a pool of blood and rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo.


“Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead by the doctors on duty,” Ojelabi added.


The police said a full-scale investigation had been launched to identify and arrest all those involved in the incident.


The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the attack and assured residents that all available resources would be deployed to bring the perpetrators to justice.


The command also appealed to members of the public with useful information to assist the investigation to contact the nearest police station or reach the police through its official channels.


Ojelabi urged residents to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands, assuring that updates would be provided as the investigation progresses.


(NAN)